EMPLOYER INFORMATION  Click here to fill in a job description and set up an interview.  
  What caregiver is right for you?  
  If you wish to hire a caregiver you must decide on your preferences: Live-in or Live-out. Be sure to decide on which caregiver best meets your needs. If you decide on a live-out caregiver, we will assess our nannies on file and supply you with their application package they completed. If you decide that a live-in, foreign caregiver is what suits your needs, than the process of obtaining one from our files will begin (There are different prices for type of caregiver See price list).

  Signing the Contract
  Be sure that you explain your needs and requirements to Canzac Nannies to ensure that we supply you with the best possible caregiver. We have numerous questions analyzing your needs, but if we should leave something out, no matter how minute, please inform us so we can add it to the contract. We will create a contract that outlines both parties’ expectations. This contract ensures that you have a legal way to protect your rights as an employer.

  Hiring a foreign live-in caregiver
  Step One
When you decide on the caregiver you wish to employ there are certain government regulations you must follow. One of Canzac Nannies services is to help you through this process. You can either obtain your own application package for a live in caregiver from Human Resources Development Canada or have Canzac supply you wit the necessary paperwork. First you must complete the Domestic Workers Registration form - Ministry of Labour. Upon receipt of your completed Domestic Workers Registration form, the Domestic Registry will send you proof that you have registered. You must enclose a copy of this proof of registration with your request to hire a live in caregiver. HRDC will not be able to access your request to hire a live in caregiver unless you have proof that you have registered.
Step Two
You must then fill in the contract form. This form will then be signed by the employer and the employee. Once signed it is ready for HRDC assessment. Once HRDC validates your contract of employment you will be provided with a letter of confirmation. It is your responsibility to send a copy of this letter of confirmation to your caregive to include with the caregivers visa processing.
Step Three
If the caregiver considered is eligible to participate in the live-in caregiver program an employment authorization will be issued. This will all take between three to six months so please plan ahead!

  Employers Responsibilities to a Live-in Employee
  You must provide acceptable working conditions, reasonable duties and fair wages. You must provide accommodation, which insures privacy, such as a bedroom with a lock on the door. You must provide your employee with a key to the house to ensure freedom of access. It is your employees home as well as their place of work. A live-in caregiver is protected by employment standards legislation and if not followed action can be taken. A copy of the employment standards will be given to you. Along with the legal obligations, Canzac Nannies urges you to do all you can as an employer to help your employee adjust to life in Canada. Coming to live in a private home, in a new country puts the caregiver and you in a special relationship of trust. We will also assist the caregiver with adjusting to the new settings.

  Your caregiver will have to get B.C. medical upon arrival in Canada. The medical will take three months to go through so private coverage is recommended during that time. The medical can be paid by the caregiver, or the family, depending on contract terms.

  Responsibility as an Employer
  Anyone who employs a caregiver is required to register as an employer with Revenue Canada. You must make the deductions for income tax, employment insurance and CPP. When you register as an employer, Revenue Canada will provide you with all information on how to comply with the law. You must also provide your employee with a record of employment when the employees term is over. You must keep written records showing hours worked each day and total hours worked each week by your employee. You must also keep full records showing employees Gross Pay, net pay, the purpose of any other deductions, and any other necessary information. You are also required by law to give the employee a T4 form for the previous year by the end of February each year. Your employee will require the T4 to file their income tax return. This information will be provided by Revenue Canada when you register as an employer. As an employer you also have to register with the Workers' Compensation Board and pay an annual fee. This protects you and the caregiver you hire in the event of any work related injuries.

  Room and Board
  Room charges are calculated on a monthly rate. There is a maximum of three hundred and twenty-five dollars a month to be charged. Your employee is entitled to leave your home on days off.

  Ending a contract
  If your employee is unwilling or unable to perform the job as stated by the contract, you can terminate the contract. You are required to notify the Canadian Immigration office and explain the situation. We will do our best to find you another caregiver, free of charge up to three months from acquiring the original caregiver.

  What is the Difference Between Live-in and Live-out?
  A live-out domestic nanny will take responsibility of your children, ensure their safety and create an environment that will stimulate learning, play, and socialization. The home environment offers the children emotional security. You are able to still go to work if the children are sick and you do not have the stress of dropping off, and picking up at certain times. A live-out caregiver might also do some light housework and cooking.
A live-in domestic nanny offers you the chance to have housework done for you, meal preparation, laundry and offers flexibility if you are running late. Since the nanny lives in your home they are less likely to miss work. A live-in arrangement offers less salary because you are supplying room and board. The only drawback to this form of child care is that few Canadians are willing to accept these positions due to the lack of salary.
A live-in foreign nanny is usually the choice of most families. The job description is the same as a live-in domestic, but there is greater stability. A foreign nanny will usually sign a contract for a one year term. They are enticed by the chance to travel, make money, and engage in a job they enjoy. It is also law that they can only work for one family, so the chance of the caregiver getting another job is minimized. The stability of a live-in, long term, caregiver will offer a stable environment for your children. If the caregiver wishes to continue working after the year is up they can renew their visa for another year and then apply for an open visa.

  Family Consultation
  Canzac Nannies believes in creating a contract that specifies the families needs. That is why we visit the family after a caregiver has been chosen and decide on a working job contract. Issues such as the following are discussed:
  • child profiles
  • job duties
  • family interests
  • size of home
  • residence surroundings
  • nannies accommodations
  • terms of employment
  • benefits included
  • preferred caregiver
  • additional expectations
  • wages
This interview is set up in order to create a compatible working unit with the family and the caregiver. A non-refundable retainer is required once a commitment to hire a nanny is made.

  Keeping Records
  You should keep the following information about your caregiver:
  • starting date
  • wages
  • working hours, per day and per week
  • overtime hours and rate of pay
  • vacation periods
  • vacation pay
  • termination date
  • severance pay
  How to Keep Your Nanny
  To insure a positive long term relationship:
  • come home on time
  • pay your nanny on time
  • if caregiver is ill, arrange for substitute child care
  • respect free time and privacy
  • leave money to cover costs of outings with the children
  • give advance notice when you require baby-sitting after hours
  • be supportive of your nanny around your children
  • don't expect free baby-sitting or overtime
  • stick to terms of contract
  • trust caregivers judgment
  • never criticize your caregiver in front of your children
  Nanny Wages
  Full time live out. Wage ranges between $1,760 to $2,816. Gross Monthly
Full time live in. Wage ranges between $1,408 to $2,250. Gross Monthly.
Full time live-in caregiver wage rate is based on minimum wage. A family may wish to pay more than this to obtain the caregiver they want. For each additional person in the home beyond eight, add $3.00 per day.
Minimum wage $8.00 per hour for a family of four.
Maximum charge for room and board is $325.00.
Part time live out. Wage ranges between $9 - $12.00 per hour - Gross.

  Agency Fees
  Full Time live-in Domestic Nanny $750
Full Time live-out $600
Overseas New Zealand Nanny $1,200
Overseas Philippines Nanny $100. (Contract fee)
Part Time live-out Nanny $300
Temp. Nanny $150


    About Us |  Services |  Employers |  Nannies |  Forms |  Links | 
©2002 Wetcat Designs. All Rights Reserved.
Telephone: 604-218-7344